Easter Hymn: Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed?
Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed?
By Isaac Watts
1. Alas! and did my Savior bleed,
And did my Sovereign die?
Would he devote that sacred head
For sinners such as I?
2. Was it for crimes that I have done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity, grace unknown,
And love beyond degree!
3. Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut its glories in,
When Christ the mighty Maker died
For man the creature's sin.
4. Thus might I hide my blushing face
While his dear cross appears;
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt mine eyes to tears.
5. But drops of tears can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe;
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
’Tis all that I can do.